Sunday, June 2, 2013

Paranoia Part 2

Although mostly relaxing, being at anchor can, at times, be nerve-wracking. The anxiety I feel while anchored is usually a result of worrying about our boat coming loose and drifting out to sea--or worse--into another boat or shallow water.

Since there isn't too much to do while at anchor (that's the relaxing part of it), we spend a lot of time looking at and commenting on the other boats in the area. As evening fell our second night at anchor, we noticed that an Oyster had pulled into the bay and anchored west of our boat, off our port side. We had a significant conversation about the Oyster (as they are a favorite of mine and this specific Oyster used to be docked in our marina).

This is the view we had at sunset from the port side of our boat. Obviously, you'll need to squint to make out the details, but the dot to the far left is the Oyster and the dot just right of the center is a powerboat directly in line with our boat:

Oyster to west (left), powerboat front and (almost) center
During the middle of the night, the wind shifted and began to blow hard from the east. The water got rough. As a result, the boat was bobbing around quite a bit, which caused me to wake. Even though it was the wee hours of the morning, I decided to investigate the situation. I looked out from the port in our stateroom and was fairly shocked to see that the Oyster, which at sunset was to the west of our boat, was now directly off our port side (although still a safe distance from our boat). In my groggy state, I determined that either the Oyster had become "unhooked" and blown east (although given the direction of the wind, that didn't make any sense) or we had come unhooked and were blowing west, toward land!

Naturally, I woke Eric, so we could continue the investigation together. After consulting our GPS, which shows our boat's path, it was apparent that Sea Gem hadn't moved. The Oyster had simply moved closer east--probably intentionally.

False alarm.

We went back to sleep.

About an hour later, Eric jumped out of bed and dashed toward the salon. As I came to, I realized that the beeping sound I had been dreaming about wasn't an illusion--there was an actual alarm going off inside our boat! With the earlier drifting concern still fresh in my sleepy mind, I hurried into cockpit to turn on the engines because I thought the alarm meant we were floating away.

From the helm, I shouted to Eric something about turning on the engines. Confused (and concerned), Eric rushed into the cockpit to stop me. And then I heard it--the distinct sound of Nespresso pods falling to the ground. Suddenly, I was wide awake.

Calmly (yet clearly annoyed), Eric said, "You don't need to turn on the engines. The alarm went off because the batteries drained. I just turned on the generator to charge them. It is fine."

Embarrassed, I said "So, I guess I'll go put away those Nespresso pods now."

And so I did.

So, Eric was right. As it turns out, we were more likely to be booby trapped by the pods than a stranger. I'm just thankful that I went with the Nespresso pods and not the sharp wooden skewers I had originally planned to use.

No comments:

Post a Comment