Monday, January 21, 2013

Unwelcome Repairs, Part II

About a month ago, I wrote about an unwelcome repair--fixing the toilet seal--that, in the end, was fairly easy (and clean).  In that post, I explained that I would soon be writing about a second unwelcome repair that, until now, has gone undisclosed.

What is that second unwelcome repair, you ask?  And why did it take me over a month to write about it?  The answer to both questions is that it took me a month to change a light bulb.

Burnt out deck light

The dead light bulb in question was the flood light mounted over halfway up the main mast, about 30 feet above the deck.

Location of burnt out deck light
So, to change the bulb, I needed to be hoisted up the mast, which consumes more than few minutes that can be squeezed in while the microwave is running, during a commercial break, etc.

Further prolonging the ordeal is that, unlike the toilet repair, almost everything went wrong and I needed to go up the mast not once, but five times to replace a single light bulb.

The process went something like this:

I went halfway up the mast and realized that I was not strapped into the chair correctly.  I came back down the mast and fixed the chair.

Strapped in correctly, I went up the mast with a replacement bulb and two screwdrivers.  I began to remove the old bulb and realized that one of the two screws holding it in place was stuck and that I would need a pliers.  I went down the mast to retrieve a pair of pliers.

I went up the mast with a replacement bulb, two screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers.  I removed the old bulb.  I attached one of the two screws holding the bulb in place.  I dropped the other screw.  I went back down the mast to retrieve the other screw.

I went up the mast with two screwdrivers, a pair of pliers, and several screws (just in case).  I installed the new bulb and went back down the mast.

Final attempt for the night
Night fell.  It was immediately clear that I installed the wrong kind of bulb, which was too faint to illuminate anything.

Not our intended outcome
We had 4 replacement bulbs on the boat, 3 of which are the correct type of bulb and the fourth had been purchased in error.  I, of course, had grabbed the fourth one.

Although the new light was much dimmer than what we expected, we decided to wait a few weeks before heading up the mast again. During this time, the rubber ring holding the light bulb in place decided to fall out.

Broken, again
So, I went up the mast again with a new replacement bulb, a pair of pliers, two screwdrivers, and several screws.  I removed the old bulb, installed the new one, and came back down the mast.

Final voyage
Success!

Wrong bulb (left). Right bulb (right)

1 comment:

  1. Mazel tov! Need to get you a workman's (or MacGyver's) belt!

    ReplyDelete